for Enlarged Photo of Medallion
The internationally recognized symbol for peace was originally designed for the British nuclear disarmament movement by Gerald Holtom in 1958. The symbol is a combination of the semaphore signals for the letters "N" and "D," standing for "nuclear disarmament".
This non-patented symbol later spread beyond CND and was adopted by the wider anti-war movement. In 1960 it was adopted by the Student Peace Union (SPU) in the United states and between 1960 and 1964 they sold thousands of buttons with this symbol on college campuses. By end of the decade it had become a generic peace sign, crossing national and cultural boundaries.
Symbol Gallery| Next